Living in a hot and humid area is a pain in itself. It’s not the scorching heat that hurts more; it is the frequent 90% and above in the humidity, which causes the problems altogether. With massive changes in the environment every single day, different states and cities are turning in to heat chambers with every passing day. But, as I was saying earlier, it is not the whooping 90 degrees F, which is creating all the persistent problems. Are Dehumidifiers worth It, don’t know right, go through to know more.
Are Dehumidifiers worth It?
It is also a fact that too much heat is dangerous to health, but when in combination with equally brutal humidity, it can cause derogatory effects to the human brain as well. Excess humidity, along with high temperature, has some adverse impact on the human body. Other than a feeling of constant tiredness and low in energy, excess moisture is one of the prevalent causes behind the occurrence of Hyperthermia. In this condition, the body finds it difficult to let out all the heat and cool it off completely. Apart from that excessive humidity can cause a lot of other problems as well, which includes:
- Excessive fatigue
- Irritation in the body
- Muscle cramps
- Heat exhaustion and many more
What is a Dehumidifier?
Now imagine a situation where you have to face all the glitches of excessive humidity when in-home as well. the thought of it is enough to make someone cringe. Now in such cases, the one particular appliance, dehumidifier, comes as the savior. Dehumidifiers are those specific home appliances, which help to remove all the excess humidity from the air and keep it at an optimal level.
Not only inside the main house, but dehumidifiers come very handily in closed spaces as well, like the basement or garages, where air circulation is not optimal and hence leads to a clogged space with too much humidity. Dehumidifiers not only increase the air quality inside the house, but they also reduce the presence of different pathogens and allergens inside the house.
Why should I Buy a Dehumidifier?
- Dehumidifiers are a truly versatile appliance, which consists of so many different advantages, other than just reducing the relative humidity of a specified area. Some of the other benefits include:
- These are incredibly noiseless; hence they do not disrupt the daily like by any means.
- Excess humidity inside the house leads to excessive growth of mold and mildews, which eventually creates a musty and muddy smell all over the space. Along with reducing the humidity level, dehumidifiers also help in reducing that smell to a significant level as well.
- Dehumidifiers reduce the chance of getting mold on upholstery like curtain or bed sheets and clothes and furniture as well, hence increases their shelf life.
- As dehumidifiers reduce the humidity level of a specified space, they also help to decrease all the signs and symptoms caused by excessive humidity. So dehumidifiers are extremely efficient in reducing skin and eye and nose irritation, and also makes it easier for the user to breathe inside the home space.
- An optimally humid home leads to a better lifestyle, with an increased shelf life of different food items, upholstery, and also optimal functionality of all other electronic gadgets and home and kitchen improvement appliances as well. A dehumidifier helps to achieve all of those pretty conveniently.
- The presence of a dehumidifier inside space makes it significantly dust free.
- Along with all the advantages mentioned above, dehumidifiers are a lot more energy-efficient as well.
Are Dehumidifiers Good For Asthma /allergy reactions?
The most concurrent problem of today’s time is definitely the rapid onset in the occurrence of different types of allergies all over the world. Of different kinds of dust allergies to allergies from mold and mildew, the list is pretty big.
- In a recent study its states that around 8.2% of adults and 8.4% of children have any one or two types of allergies in the United States. Rather than depending on anti-allergic medications, taking different types of precautions like using air purifiers containing HEPA filters or humidifiers are much more relevant. Using dehumidifiers in such situations is proven as pretty helpful as well. There are three significant ways, through which dehumidifiers help in controlling all the allergy-causing pathogens and the symptoms caused by them:
- Most of the allergy-causing mold tends to grow in spaces with relative humidity above 50%. The allergic symptoms caused by molds are way similar to the reactions caused by pollens. As dehumidifiers decrease the humidity level inside any given space, they can, in turn, retard mold growth as well, hence can prevent allergies from taking place.
- Along with mold, dust mites are another prevalent reason behind most of the allergic reactions which take place in our body. Dust mites are small and microscopic organisms that reside mostly in the upholstery. Decreasing the relative humidity level below 50% with a dehumidifier can help in improving the situation as always.
- There are specific types of dehumidifiers available in the market, named crawl space dehumidifiers. These dehumidifiers help to maintain the possible air quality in crawl spaces, which are supposed to have a maximum level of humidity.
How Does Humidity Impact Your Sleep?
Some studies suggest the presence of a dehumidifier in the home can help in better and sound sleep. The idea must come from the fact that excessive humidity during summertime may hinder the sleep as that decreases the rate of evaporation of heat from the body itself, which eventually makes it difficult for the body to cool it off easily, especially during sleeping time. Now, as dehumidifiers can maintain the humidity level below 50%, which is also considered ideal for sound sleep, they help pretty effectively in the process as well.
Like any other appliances, dehumidifiers have disadvantages regarding safety and maintenance of the appliance, but other than that, these are pretty safe to use. Most of the advanced dehumidifiers are equipped with all the precautionary measures, which will prevent fire hazards or water leakage etc. As the basic mechanism of a dehumidifier, it is well-calibrated and functions automatically. The user also doesn’t have to worry about on or off the appliance; it works by the room’s humidity level. Though these are chiefly meant for summer, dehumidifiers can also be used in spring and fall-mostly in tropical areas.