What causes a musty smell in the house? The leading cause of getting a musty smell is that there is no proper ventilation. The air will get stuck and there will be no provision to pass it away. In such an event, the environment becomes favourable for the growth of microbes like fungi. They tend to leave an unpleasant odor while reproducing. Such microbes reproduce each minute. This results in getting your room full with a musty smell.
How to get rid of musty smell in House?
There are several steps you can follow to get rid of the musty smell in your house. You can opt for anyone of them. Follow the steps mentioned below and you will be able to prevent your home from getting a musty smell.
- Do not ever leave any damp clothing or fabrics in the room. It will act as an agent in providing a moist environment for fungi to grow. Make sure that you do not leave any wet towel or any other damp stuff lying in the room. Collect all such pieces of cloth and dump it in any container. Add a few spoons of detergent or white vinegar in the same container before you leave. It will prevent your room from getting a musty smell.
- Before leaving the room locked for several days, you should first sprinkle a solution in the room. You can easily make the solution to your home. You have to add one spoon of vinegar and some essential oils like rosemary in half a glass of water.
- There are devices available in the market, like air purifiers. Try to buy an air purifier with a HEPA filter. It will keep your room away from the musty smell as well as free from germs.
Quick And Easy Ways To Deal With Musty Smells
You can find several methods by which you can keep your house from getting a musty smell. Here are a few quick and easy ways to deal with musty odors.
- Locate the source of the musty smell. If you have done this, you will be able to get rid of the smell quickly. Otherwise, no matter how you try to get rid of the smell, it won’t go away. This is the prime most step to get away from the smell.
- As soon as you enter your house, open all the windows and doors. This is how you can quickly get away from the musty smell. Ventilation is key to keeping the air inside the room fresh and healthy.
- Set a pot with boiling water over the stove and add a few peels of lemon. It will help you immensely. After boiling water with peels, carry the pot carefully to all the rooms in the house. It will take off the smell and you will have a pleasant environment again. This method can easily be deployed. It does not require too many resources as well as effort.
- Installing an air purifier is the smartest way to get away from the musty smell. It is the easiest way that requires zero efforts. Just press the button and you will have a fragrant aroma all over the place. Some air purifiers come with HEPA filters, which helps in keeping your environment free from germs as well. You can do both things with a single device.
Tips to Deodorize Your House
Besides using any chemical substances, you can deodorize your house by yourself with some essential items. The best possible way to keep your home full of a pleasant smell is that you can plant some plants in the corners of your house. Shrubs like roses, lilies can spread a pleasant smell all over the place, no matter whether it’s day or night.
You can even try to make homemade fragrance sprays by yourself by getting a few ingredients from the market. Fresh herbs like sage, dried lavender can be fetched easily from the market. You can easily make the room fresher by adding such herbs in the water and boil it. Put the water in a spray bottle and use it wherever you want it to use.
Why Does My House Smell Musty?
If there is any wet piece of cloth, it may also cause a musty smell. Since the microbes need a damp environment to live, they get one after you leave any wet cloth in the room. Just try to avoid a few simple things and you will have a safe and pleasant environment around you.
Tips to avoid Musty Smell on walls
- There is no need to take too much care of your house to prevent musty smell on walls.
- Just keep your environment clean and healthy and there will be no problem at all.
- To avoid the musty smell, you should not leave any wet piece of cloth hanging near the walls. This may result in getting the smell on the walls.
- You should not leave your room airtight. This will keep the air inside the room steady and the smell will get stuck to the walls. It is hard to take the smell away from the walls since it requires lots of effort.
Just follow a few healthy tips and you will be able to avoid musty smell on the walls.